skip to main content

Select text size: set font size to normal - set font size to medium - set font size to large Select colour scheme: set contrast to normal - set contrast to high - turn styles off

sunderland city council logo: click for sunderland events home page

Royal Wedding and more - your guide to organising a street party or fete

Thursday 07 Apr 11 - Saturday 07 Apr 12


wheelchair accessibile Wheelchair Accessible

Your guide to organising a street party or fete

What sort of events does this apply to?
This is about the sort of street parties and fetes that groups of residents get together to arrange for their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are listed below:
Street parties and fetes: Larger public events:
For residents/neighbours only Anyone can attend
Publicity only to residents External publicity (such as in newspapers)
No licences normally necessary if Licence usually needed
music incidental and no selling is involved Insurance needed
No formal risk assessment needed Risk assessment common
Self-organised Professional/skilled organisers
Organising small, private street parties and fetes is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice which is a type of temporary licence and costs 21. Similarly, larger public events attracting more people will require a different process. If you need a Temporary Events Notice or would like to hold a larger public event, please contact your council for further information and advice.
It?s that simple
If you would like to hold a street party or fete, you can use the form below to let your council know about your plans. Alternatively you could go to your council?s website to see if they have their own form.
The number one tip for holding a party is to plan early, think about what you want to achieve and get in touch with your council at least 4-6 weeks in advance. A good first point of contact will be your council?s events or communities team.
More helpful tips, advice and support for organising a successful event can be found on the Streets Alive website and The Big Lunch website Do check them out, they?re great.

What happens next?
Send your form to your local council (in a two-tier authority this will be the borough or district council)
The council will look at what you are proposing, will process your application for road closure and will let you know if there is anything else you need to consider.
We hope this guidance has made things easier for you. Good luck with your event.
Please complete the application form in the attachment and sent it to:
Mr Geoff Fisher,
Traffic Management Team
Sunderland City Council
Civic Centre,
Burdon Road
Applications can also be e-mailed to:
and a read receipt should also be requested by the sender
For further information regarding proposed temporary road closures or for further advice please telephone our Traffic Management Team on 0191 561 1522.
If you think you may require a Temporary Events Notice or require further advice please telephone our Licensing Team on 0191 5611012
Please note that if a Temporary Events Notice is required, then the deadline for receipt of completed application forms in connection with a Street Party to be held on the day of the Royal Wedding, is 12 April 2011
The deadline for receipt of completed application formswhere a Temporary Events Notice is NOT required, is 15 April 2011

Event information may be subject to change or cancellation, please check before travelling. Sunderland City Council makes every effort to maintain the accuracy of the information on this website but cannot accept responsibility for any error or alteration to details which may occur.

see sunderland logo full events diary

Featured Events

Sunderland Live: Fringe Festival

27 May - 17 June


Sunderland 10k Run 2011

26 June - 26 June


Register for Updates
Organisers add your event here